How To Read Scratched CDs or DVDs In Windows

That’s right, kiddies! I have an awesome free program that attempts to get your data back for you lickity split! Here’s how you can read and retrieve all the data from scratched CDs and DVDs.
To start my testings, I whipped out an old spindle of CDs circa 2003. These things were scratched to high hell and they worked (a little) in my CD-ROM but not reliably.
Next, I downloaded Roadkil’s Unstoppable Copier version 3.56 from here: http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29 and simply ran it without installation. I saw this screen below:
how to read scratched dvd


It looked pretty straight forward so, I decided to give it a whirl. I hit the browse button for the source field and then for the target field; and proceeded to select my CD-ROM and a blank folder respectively.



image


Then, I hit the Copy button and it took off! It read and copied my whole disk in a few minutes flat! I tested the files and they were working just fine.
image
I grabbed another disk that I knew was seriously flucked up and again hit Copy. When I say seriously flucked up, I really mean it ““ I took a screwdriver to the disk and made a scratch from end to end!
how to read scratched dvd
roadkil1
This time, the copying process took a bit longer and the drive made some crazy noises but it did successfully copy all my files. This is awesome. I wish I had something like this 5 years ago after my great CD disaster. But hey, that can be a story for another time.
Let’s check out the programs settings:
image
Everything is pretty straight forward and you will not find yourself looking to use them unless your disk is beyond repair and files are erroring out. Strangely, I could not make this happen. My slider was also on the best data recovery side but you can also push it towards the faster side if the CD is not horribly damaged.
And of course, batch mode can be used to do multiple disks extractions:
image
This is great if you have multiple drives. Just add the locations and they will do their thing in order from top to bottom.
Do you have a free CD/DVD recovery program that is reliable? If you do or aware of any alternative way to read scratched DVDs or CDs, let us know about it in the comments.
If your disc is broken beyond repair, or at least, that’s what you think — then read Varun’s post on How To Repair Damaged CD’s Or DVD’s & Recover Data. You’re bound to learn something new.
Copy By:.makeuseof

Other software

(www.smart-projects.net/cdrecovery.php)
  (www.powerdatarecovery.com)
  (www.jufsoft.com/badcopy /cd_recovery.asp)
  (www.kvi pu.com/CDCheck)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More